Windows 7 Release Date Announced!

Steve Guggenheimer announced the release dates of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 at Computex 2009 in Tapei. We will be RTM’ing Windows 7 in the second half of July, with general availability (that means it’s in stores, etc.) by October 22nd. Windows Server 2008 R2 will be available at the same time.

This is awesome news! Warm up your download tools, it’s not far away.

Everyone I know has been impressed with, and really likes Windows 7, even some of the most critical people I know. I think this is due to the changes in how the Windows team developed the OS, as well as how open they were to feedback, and their willingness to make changes. If you weren’t reading the Engineering Windows 7 blog, you should go there now, and read all of the posts. They are all quite fascinating.

I got to be part of the IQ team, which is a very small part, but it was still fun. I would be given weekly builds to install on my machines, and to test out. While the Beta was of a very high quality, for a beta, I could see the continuing improvements in quality and features in every build. I would get giddy every time I would get the email that a new build was available, then spend the next half day downloading it, and installing it on all of my machines.

I am looking forward to stabilizing on one consistent build for a while. That is of course until they start on Windows 8. :)

Comments

Jon Kruger said…
Nice blog layout!

I'm really looking forward to Windows 7, we have people who have been developing on it every day at work since the beta and have had no problems.
Mike Wood said…
Awesome. Perhaps I just wasn't watching the news closely enough, but this is much earlier than I expected.

Popular posts from this blog

Farewell

How does an Architect pack?

Job security is a myth, and how IT Pros are Thriving